What Severe Weather to Report
to ARES Nets.
||Flooding and Rainfall
- Tornadoes, funnel clouds, wall clouds, and persistent cloud rotation.
- Structural damage from tornadoes or severe wind gusts.
- Any trees uprooted or downed.
- Multiple large healthy limbs downed (at least 3" in diameter).
- Hail of 1/2" diameter or larger.
- Hail covering the ground.
- Do not report lightning or garden variety
thunderstorms below severe level.
- 1" or more of rainfall in one hour or less (measured).
- Flooding that results in evacuations or rescues.
- Cars or trailers carried away by flood waters.
- Water entering the main level of homes or businesses.
- Roads closed or impassable due to high water.
- Rapidly rushing water across roadways.
- More than one foot of water across roads.
- Small streams overflowing their banks.
- 1" or more of snow per hour.
- 1" or more of snow in the past 24 hours.
- When first measuring 2", 4", or 6" of snow.
- Storm total snowfall and snow depth.
- Any freezing rain or freezing drizzle.
- Any thunder or lightning associated with winter precipitation.
Go to this link for more info on snow measurement at home.
as of 1/22/2014 REF: Wilmington